Sadly, there has been a rash of poisonings across the US this summer as people have mistaken tiki torch fuel for apple juice. Children and one elderly woman died recently after consuming the amber-yellow liquid.
Poison control officials theorize that the confusion occurs in part because of the similar colors, odors (fuel is now often scented), and packaging (plastic bottles).
These fuels are especially dangerous because the oil contains hydrocarbons, which can permanently damage the heart, lungs, and brain, even in small amounts. There is no known antidote.
Officials recommend that you refill torches and store the oils away from guest areas before the party begins. Also, never pour the oil into other plastic containers or cups that could easily be confused with a beverage (especially by drunk people!)