Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's Grog Log, Intoxica, and Sippin' Safari books have been an indispensable part of my collection of cocktail recipe books. Mr. Berry is one of the foremost authorities on classic Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic-style tropical cocktails and his recipes are about as authentic as one can get.
I've been dragging the spiral-bound volumes with me from party to party, but occasionally I find myself wishing I could remember what was in a particular drink when the books are nowhere around; say, when staring at a wall of rum in a liquor store trying to determine my next purchase.
Modern technology to the rescue: the recipes from all three books (plus some new ones) have been compiled in an app for iPhone and iPod Touch, called Tiki+. From the author of the Cocktails+ app, Tiki+ has the following features:
• 150 recipes
• Lush presentation with drink photographs and vintage illustrations
• Interactive ingredient names with definitions and substitution information
• Search by name or ingredient
• Mark favorites
• Browse by category or flavor
• Share recipes though email, Twitter, and Facebook
• Quantities in metric or imperial (US) units
• For iPhone/iPod Touch OS 2.2 or higher
I'm downloading now and will post some impressions once the app is loaded in my iPod Touch.
UPDATE: Yes folks, the app is a winner. It's very easy to navigate, has all the classic recipes, and has lots of great extra information on everything from rums to ice. The only thing this app needs is "Grogalizer" style functionality to recommend drinks based on what ingredients you have available. Here's hoping that's in 2.0.